Facts About Live In Care Staff

Some Answered Questions about Live in Care Staff

What is the current situation regarding Brexit? Currently, EU Nationals enjoy free movement and have the right to live and work in the UK. This position will continue until December 2020. Any new immigration system will come into place in 2021 at the earliest. We will do everything we can to ensure that any new system continues to enable Garvald West Linton to benefit from the wonderful contribution of staff from Europe. We value our European Care Staff just as much as ever. Indeed, Brexit has led us to cherish our European connections even more than before.

Why work in Garvald West Linton?

There can be many reason why you would choose to work in Garvald West Linton. Some of our staff who come to work in Garvald do so because they wish visit Scotland during their Gap year. Garvald is situated in the Scottish country side surrounded by moors and hills. We are only half an hour drive away from Edinburgh, the beautiful historical capital. There is also a rich social and cultural life in Garvald. During their stay some staff come here to improve their English, mix with different cultures, gain practical skills, develop people skills, experience life in community or share interests with others. Whatever your reasons for thinking about joining us, we expect you to be interested in working with people with learning disabilities or other support needs. How long will I need to commit to work in Garvald? Whilst we prefer staff to work for us for a minimum of 6 months to 1 year, we offer short-term work for return staff members to work for a period of 3 months’ duration. Often this will be during the summer between June and September. Short term work is sometimes available at other times of the year due to staff shortages.

I do not have any experience or qualifications – Can I still apply?

You do not need to have previous experience or qualifications to apply for a Care Staff role. We have a staff-training programme for new staff which is usually held on a Thursday morning, initially over a six-month period, and ongoing when necessary thereafter. Care staff receive supervision approximately once a month from the House Manager or Deputy House Manager. During supervision, issues of concern can be raised and support can be offered. There is also the opportunity for practice to be reflected, as well as training needs to be addressed. Within the first six months’ supervision new members of staff have an appraisal meeting with their Line Manager. This is a reflective meeting and gives the opportunity to mutually review this period and address any issues causing concern or needing clarification.

What does the working hours look like?

Our Live in Care Staff have a 40-hour working week over 5 days. The normal shift pattern for care staff are either 7.00 am to 3.00 pm or 2.00 pm to 10.00 pm. There can be some variation at weekends.

Can I apply for Part Time Live-In job?

Unfortunately, due to limited accommodation available, we are not able to offer Part Time Live in Care staff posts. However, you could consider applying for Live out Care staff instead.

How much time off will I get?

You will be entitled to 30 days paid holiday during your first year, rising to 35 days in your second year of employment. Our holiday year runs from January to December and this will be pro rata based on how long you are working for us.

How does accommodation work?

You will be provided with a basic furnished room and a deduction will be made from your salary. There is more information available on request.

What is food like?

Mealtimes are important for us in our houses. Garvald West Linton strives to provide nutritious, healthy and seasonal ingredients for each house to cook with. Meals are regularly eaten together with our residents around a table, using organic and home grown food. You will need to help with food preparation, setting tables and clearing up afterwards. There will be times when, as a live-in member of staff, you will not be on shift and you will need to cook/make your own meals. While you are on shift, meals will be provided, in your household, unless you are out of Garvald in a working capacity. You will have access to certain staple food items. Garvald does not provide meat or fish, outside the occasions that they are available as part of the lunch/evening meal menu. If these items are important for you to have, then you are responsible for buying your own.

We will endeavour to provide alternatives for food intolerances while you are on duty but we may not be able to cater for these at times when you are off or on holiday. Again you would be responsible for buying your favoured options.

How good does my English need to be?

Many of the people that we support have speech impairments and can find talking and understanding speech difficult and sometimes frustrating. Therefore, you will need to have a good command of spoken English. Your spoken English may be assessed during interview.

What should I bring with me?

The weather in Scotland is variable. It may be warm, cold, snowy, wet, windy, sunny, sometimes all in the one day, so come prepared. Think about dressing in casual layers (such as jeans, t-shirt, cardigan/jumper) and wearing closed, secure footwear (such as trainers). Bring warm clothes with you, especially for outdoors, though you can often buy cheap, warm clothes in charity shops once you’re here. A waterproof jacket, plus scarf, hat and gloves and sturdy outdoor shoes will be useful. Our residents also like to go swimming once a week, therefore you might want to bring your swimwear too. You don’t need to bring bed linen or a towel with you. These will be available during your stay here in your room.

What is a criminal record check?

You will be required to fill in a criminal record check from Disclosure Scotland if you're applying to work for us. Disclosure means sharing sensitive personal information. Disclosure Scotland checks and shares information about people's criminal records. This helps organisations to employ the right people for certain types of work, like working with children or protected adults. Once you have completed the application it will be sent to Disclosure Scotland, it can take up to a month for your certificate to come back. You cannot start working with us without this. It is important for you to fill the application with the correct information as it might take longer if we have to provide this information at a later date. All offers are subject to receiving an appropriate outcome of the relevant Disclosure check.

What is a health check?

We are required by our regulators to ensure that staff appointed are fit to carry out their duties as described in the relevant Job Description. You may be asked to supply information about your general state of health, including any allergies or chronic conditions which might affect your work, such as back pain, migraines, hay fever etc.

Will I need to provide references?

You will be asked to supply the names and contact details of two people who can tell us about your skills, experience and character. Ideally one of them to be your latest employer. The referees must have known you for at least two years, and should not be a friend or family member.

Do I have to be practicing Christian?

No. However, life in Garvald is lived in tune with Christian and general humanistic ideals and the Christian festivals are often celebrated. Those of a different faith or persuasion also make a valued contribution to the social and spiritual life of a community and we encourage them to do so.